Now, I can't fully credit myself for this recipe as it was one I actually found in my new little Hummingbird Bakery cupcake recipe book, but as they went down such a hit I thought I'd share the recipe with you guys!
It seems to be that most of my 'sweet' recipes are based around chocolate, so I'm going to try and add in a little bit of variety in the near future- although, let's be honest who can resist a good chocolate cake? These are pretty simple to make, and make about 10 if you're lucky! If anyone has any requests for recipes in the near future let me know!
Anyway, here goes!
What you will need:
- 100g plain flour (I'd musch rather call it plain than 'all purpose'- it's no cleaning agent!)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt!
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For The Frosting:
- 300g icing sugar
- 100g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 40g cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons whole milk (sometimes you may need a little more!)
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees!
2. Put (preferably sift) the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl, and if like me, you don't have an electric mixer (wah!) beat together until mixed well and of a 'sandy consistency' (and you have a mild arm ache).
(see! brown edible sand!)
3. Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a bowl, pouring about half into the flour mixture and stirring it until mixed well, with as few lumps as possible (this is hard as the mixture disappears quickly!)
4. Pour in the remaining mixture and mix until smooth (without an electric mixer this is probably near to impossible, but make it as lump-free as poss!)
5. Spoon the mixture into some fun paper cases, until about two thirds full and bake for about 20-25 minutes (you know they're done when a skewer/knife comes out clean when poked in!). Leave to cool!
6. While the cupcakes are busy chillin' (see what I did there, anyone...no?) you can make your frosting! Add your icing sugar, butter and cocoa into a bowl and beat until all well mixed and comes together.
7. Add the milk to the mixture a little bit at a time, and beat until light and fluffy- 'the longer the frosting is beaten the lighter and fluffier it becomes- viola!
(excuse all the cutlery!)
8. When the cupcakes are cool spoon your frosting on top and decorate with whatever you fancy (it was a toss up between marshmallows and fudge!) If you're a dork like me you can also buy some rad cake boxes from Sainsburys and put them in there to be real profesh ;) enjoy!